The federal government will remain open Wednesday as thousands gather in D.C. to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. But the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is urging federal employees to consider teleworking Wed., if possible.
OPM says workers should try to adjust their work schedule to help alleviate the anticipated traffic congestion. A number of roads and memorials will be closed Wednesday due to events commemorating the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.
For those who still plan to travel to work , U.S. Park Police will close the following roads beginning at 3:15 a.m. Wednesday:
- The Arlington Memorial Bridge will be closed
- Rock Creek Parkway from Virginia Avenue to Parkway Drive. Drivers should use Connecticut Avenue or 16th Street as an alternate route
- Parkway Drive from Rock Creek Parkway to Lincoln Memorial Circle
- Independence Avenue from 15th Street to 23rd Street
- Ohio Drive from Inlet bridge to Parkway Drive, including the A, B and C parking lots
- Theodore Roosevelt Bridge will remain open, however users of the Ohio Drive exit will be forced to U-turn north onto the Potomac Freeway
- Maine Avenue from 15th Street to Independence Avenue, including Tidal Basin parking lot
- North and southbound lanes of 17th Street between Independence Avenue and Constitution Avenue
- Daniel French Drive
- 23rd Street from Independence Ave to Constitution Ave
- Henry Bacon Drive
D.C. Police plan to close the following roads from 3 a.m. Wednesday until 6:30 p.m.:
- Westbound ramp from I-395 to Maine Avenue SW. All traffic will be diverted to the 12th Street Tunnel.
- Ramp from 9th Street tunnel to westbound Maine Avenue SW. Traffic will be diverted to outbound I-395
- 200 block Maiden Lane merge with Maine Avenue SW. Traffic will be diverted to northbound 14th Street SW
- Southbound Potomac River Freeway and ramp to Independence Avenue. All traffic will be diverted to the outbound Theodore Roosevelt Bridge.
- Ramp from eastbound Teddy Roosevelt Bridge to Independence Avenue NW