A family of six escaped a two-alarm fire that engulfed their Darnestown, Md., home Thursday night.
Montgomery County Fire spokesman Pete Piringer said contractors working on the home's deck on Thursday may have improperly discarded oily rags, paint brushes and similar items in a plastic bag, resulting in "spontaneous combustion."
The fire, located in the 15100 block of Rollinmead Drive, was so intense firefighters went into a defensive mode, attacking the blaze from the outside. According to Piringer, crews were concerned about the structural integrity of the home.
While no one was injured in the fire, many of the items inside the home will not be salvageable, News4's Megan McGrath reported.
The fire displaced two adults and four children.
Authorities say the fire caused $1.5 million in damage.