Three Suffer Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Due to Backup Generator

One male is in life-threatening critical condition and two females are in serious condition

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012  |  Updated 6:01 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Backup Generator Poisons Three

Getty Images

advertisement

A Laurel man remains in serious condition - and two women were hospitalized - after they were poisoned Tuesday morning by carbon monoxide caused by a running generator in their home.

The three victims were apparently running the backup generator at the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor of the home, in a doorway that opened to the garage. But the garage door was closed, restricting ventilation.

Emergency crews found that carbon monoxide in the home was more than 30 times the normal level.

All of the patients were treated in the hyperbaric chamber at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, and the male patient is expected to receive hyperbaric therapy again tomorrow.

Howard County officials said that a generator should never be operated inside the home and offered safety tips here.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out