Va. Family Says Smoke Detector Saved Their Lives

By David Culver
|  Thursday, Oct 31, 2013  |  Updated 8:14 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fairfax County Fire and EMS are going door to door reminding people to check their smoke detectors and change their batteries. One local family says if it wasn't for their smoke detector, their home would have been destroyed.

David Culver

Fairfax County Fire and EMS are going door to door reminding people to check their smoke detectors and change their batteries. One local family says if it wasn't for their smoke detector, their home would have been destroyed.

advertisement

A Springfield, Va. family says a new program launched by their local fire department saved their lives earlier this week.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department is six months into its "Safety In Our Community" (SIOC) program.

Every Saturday, crews from local fire stations go door-to-door making sure smoke alarms are both installed and working properly. Crews visited the Nahim family in two months ago, warning them to replace a smoke alarm outside a bedroom door.

Tuesday night, a fire started inside that bedroom and Hassan Nahim told News4 his house would no longer exist if he hadn't been told to replaced the alarm.

"Nothing could have stopped that fire. I mean this house would be down, definitely would be down," Hassan said.

More than half of the homes in Fairfax County don't have working smoke alarms, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Bowers.

"Our men and women have visited over 40,000 homes in the county and installed over 6,000 smoke alarms free," Bowers said.

"It saved everybody's life," Mohammed said. "Everybody needs one upstairs, downstairs... everywhere."

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out