Family Files $10M Lawsuit After 9-Year-Old Daughter Attacked on School Bus | NBC4 Washington

Tracee Wilkins and the News4 team covering where you live

Family Files $10M Lawsuit After 9-Year-Old Daughter Attacked on School Bus

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A Maryland family filed a $10 million lawsuit against Prince George's County after their 9-year-old daughter was beaten on a school bus. Tracee Wilkins reports. (Published Wednesday, May 27, 2015)

    A 9-year-old girl says she's afraid to go back to school or ride the bus after she was attacked by a classmate as their bus left Highland Park Elementary School in Landover, Maryland.

    Saraia Collins hasn’t returned to school since the beating May.

    “She is scared to go back to school, and I’m not sure how it is that they compensate her for that,” attorney Brian McDaniel said. “She’s scared to have interaction with other students. I’m not sure how they compensate her for that.”

    Wednesday, her family filed a $10 million lawsuit against Prince George’s County, the school system, the administration of her school and the bus driver.

    “The bus driver continued to drive,” McDaniel said. “He did not stop. He did not make sure that Saraia was OK. In essence, he just allowed the attack to take place.”

    Tierra Holland, Saraia’s mother, said the bullying was an ongoing issue previously reported to school administrators.

    “It’s not about the money for us,” Holland said. “We are not suing for money. We’re worried about Prince George’s County Public Schools acknowledging bullying going on in her school.”

    School and county officials said they could not comment on the pending litigation but said the driver is on leave.