Dozens Sickened in NW Hazmat Incident

At least three people hospitalized after incident at rehab facility

Tuesday, Sep 27, 2011  |  Updated 7:24 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Residents of a northwest Washington treatment facility were evacuated from the building after a carbon monoxide leak.

Jackie Bensen

Residents of a northwest Washington treatment facility were evacuated from the building after a carbon monoxide leak.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Hazmat Incident Sends Several People to Hospital

Hazardous materials leak at halfway house in northwest Washington forces building evacuation.
More Photos and Videos

Three busloads of people were taken to area hospitals for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning at a rehabilitation facility in Northwest.

At around 3:30 p.m., rescuers were called to the D.C. residential facility for Second Genesis, a nonprofit drug and alcohol rehabilitation program in the 1300 block of Harvard Street NW. The building was evacuated and Hazmat responders entered the building. Residents of the complex were given oxygen to help them cope with the effects of the illness. At the time of the incident, the building contained 36 residents and 10 staff members.
Three people immediately were transported to area hospitals with serious symptoms, News4’s Jackie Bensen reported. Tthree buses then transported another 30 people from the scene.
Bensen also reported that residents of the facility had complained of odd smells and displayed flu-like symptoms, including headaches and nausea, for several days.
The building remains evacuated at this hour.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out