D.C. Officer, Suspect in Carjacking Had Been at Same Club Night of Shooting

View Comments ()



    New details emerged after one of the suspects in the shooting of a DC detective made his first court appearance late Thursday afternoon. (Published Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014)

    Court documents are shedding more light on what exactly happened during the early morning hours Wednesday, when two D.C. officers were shot at by several suspects driving a stolen car. 

    It all began just before 3 a.m. Wednesday near Suitland Parkway and Alabama Avenue SE when a stolen, burgundy Nissan Altima pulled up next to an off-duty D.C. police officer's car. According to a police report, someone in the Altima fired three shots at her car, then fled the scene.

    The officer was not injured, but was shot at again on Massachusetts Avenue as she pursued the Altima for tag information.

    The suspects then drove to Pennsylvania Avenue and Southern Avenue in Suitland, Maryland where they attempted to carjack a D.C. detective who has been with the force for 25 years. 

    Two D.C. Officers Shot at During Violent Chase, Attempted Carjacking

    [DC] Two D.C. Officers Shot at During Violent Chase, Attempted Carjacking
    Police are working to unravel the details of a violent night in the District and Prince George's County, during which a veteran detective suffered four gunshot wounds. News4's Jackie Bensen reports. (Published Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014)

    The detective was shot four times, but managed to pursue the suspects deeper into Prince George's County, then back into the District, where the Altima eventually crashed in the 5500 block of Hunt Place NE.

    Three suspects then fled the scene, but police managed to track one of them down and arrest him.

    Romeo Hayes, 27, of Southwest is facing assault with intent to kill charges. 

    Prior to the shooting, court documents say both Hayes and the female officer who was involved in the first shooting had gone to Opera Ultra Lounge on 1st Street NW.

    Police say it's unclear whether the female officer was targeted. 

    Initially, Hayes told police he had been at Opera, but didn't have anything to do with the shootings. However, his wallet was found near the scene of the Hunt Place NE crash. At the time of the shooting, Hayes was out on bond on a gun charge in Prince George's County and had a court date next week. 

    He was acquitted on carjacking charges in Prince George's County last year.

    If you saw a burgundy Nissan Altima with New York license plates in those areas, you are asked to call police at 202-727-9099. A $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to an arrest.

    Stay with NBCWashington on-air and online for more on this developing story.