D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray declared a state of emergency for the nation's capital ahead of Hurricane Irene.
Gray's spokeswoman said the mayor issued the order Friday evening after consultation with the office of the attorney general.
The move follows similar emergency orders issued in neighboring Maryland and Virginia.
The storm that is making its way up the East Coast is supposed to pound the area with strong winds and power outages, rain and possible flooding.
- Watch Live: Hurricane Irene Coverage
- Track the storm with our interactive radar.
- Share your photos with us and other readers.
- Check the latest severe weather alerts.
- Prepare yourself and your home for the hurricane.
- By the numbers: Hurricane Irene.
- Dramatic photos of the hurricane.
- Power outages: Info from your power company.
- Complete weather coverage and News4 video forecasts.
- Hurricanes through history.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Sign up for our e-mail newsletters and get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text DCBREAKING to 622339 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)