A Sterling, Va. home built to accommodate the special needs of the Simms family went up in flames Monday. The family also lost seven of its pets.
But strangers are stepping forward to help them regain what they lost.
"It was home," Matt Simms said. "I was living my dream."
"I think I'm still in shock or numb from all of this. It's just, it's very overwhelming," his wife, Tina Simms, said.
The home featured modifications for the family of little people. It was suitable not only for Matt and Tina, but also their two young children. Their daughter's only wheelchair was also destroyed.
"A house can be rebuilt. Stuff can be rebought (sic), but things that can't be replaced are my animals," Tina said.
Looking onto empty cages is the hardest thing for the Simms.
"I want to bust out crying, but I can't I got to be strong for my family," Matt said.
But in the midst of the family's grief, there is a breath of hope. The community is now coming together to help this family rebuild.
"I'm so blessed that so many people want to help us," added Tina. "Our community wants to reach out, strangers we've never met before want to come and offer help."
The family says the fire started from a discarded cigarette by a visiting family member.