It's time to talk about the depressing job of taking down the Christmas trees. Here are the rules for local jurisdictions:
- In the District, Christmas trees will be picked up for recycling through Saturday, January 11th. Put your tree on the curb next to your trash container.
- If you live in Fairfax County, put that live Christmas tree on the curb for recyling during the first two weeks in January.
- In Arlington County, trees will be picked up January 6th through January 17th on your regular trash collection day.
- Loudoun County offers five locations for residents to drop off Christmas trees for recycling through January 19th. Those locations are: the Loudoun County Landfill in Leesburg, Lovettsville Game Protective Association, Franklin Park in Purcellville, South Riding Town Hall & Claude Moore Park in Sterling.
- If you live in Prince William County, take your greenery to: the Price William County Compost Facility in Manassas, NOVEC in Gainesville, the Prince William County Landfill in Manassas or the Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge.
- In Alexandria, holiday trees can be recycled curbside for those who receive collection service from the city, January 6th through 17th.
- Montgomery County recycles Christmas trees year-round. Put your tree at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling collection day.
- In Prince George's County, residents should place trees curbside before 6:30 a.m on regularly scheduled collection days by February 1st.