Christmas Tree Fire Destroys Manassas Home | NBC4 Washington

Julie Carey, David Culver and the News4 team covering where you live

Christmas Tree Fire Destroys Manassas Home

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A Manassas family lost their home after the lights on their Christmas tree started a fire over the weekend. News4's Jackie Bensen reports. (Published Monday, Dec. 22, 2014)

    A Manassas family lost their home after the lights on their Christmas tree started a fire over the weekend.

    Fire crews were called to the 9600 block of Fairview Avenue just before 5 p.m. Sunday. When they arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the home.

    Officials say the fire started in the outlet where the Christmas tree was plugged in. Susie Robinson lives in the basement of the home -- her "apartment" was luckily not damaged.

    "I went outside to smoke a cigarette, then I saw the flames and then the bulbs on the Christmas lights started exploding, one by one," Robinson said. "I'm very lucky. Normally I would have been taking a nap at that time."

    The family of four was at church when the fire started and is being assisted by the Red Cross.

    Damage to the home is estimated at $70,000.

    "I feel bad for them, they lost everything," Robinson said. 

    Manassas officials are now urging residents to unplug any Christmas lights on their trees or homes before going to sleep or going out.

    The U.S. Fire Administration has several tips that will also keep you and your family safe this holiday season: