Child Shocked by Wire at National Zoo

By John Wist
|  Tuesday, Apr 12, 2011  |  Updated 8:38 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Child Shocked by Wire at National Zoo

Getty Images

advertisement

A safety wire at the National Zoo’s Lemur Island exhibit shocked a little girl at about 5 p.m. Monday, sending her to a nearby hospital.

Zoo officials said the girl was balancing on her father’s shoulders when she reached up and touched the overhead safety wire.

Smithsonian officials tested the wire after the incident, which is designed to be harmless to humans and animals, and is not high voltage. They did not find any problems with the voltage at the time of the incident.

The little girl was briefly taken to the Zoo’s Health Center before being taken to a nearby hospital as a precaution. Zoo officials said the girl was alert and responsive, and is expected to be OK.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out