Gas Leak Lands Church Goers in the Hospital

By Dan Stamm
|  Saturday, Nov 7, 2009  |  Updated 11:43 PM EDT
Email
|
Print
Maryland Gas Leak

Chronis Jons/Riser/Getty Images

Three people were taken to the hospital after breathing in carbon monoxide gas.

Photos and Videos

Maryland Gas Leak

At least ten people at a Prince George?s County church were taken to a hospital due to a carbon monoxide leak.
More Photos and Videos

A carbon monoxide emergency at a Prince George’s County church left a woman and two children hospitalized Saturday night.

Officials received a tip call around 6:30 that a person at Saint Bernard’s Church in Riverdale was feeling faint and dizzy. P.G. County firefighters and paramedics responded to the scene to find several more people with similar symptoms.

Officials took readings in the church and found a CO level of 1,300 parts per million -- far above the normal level of zero to 30, according to P.G. County Fire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady.

The culprit for the gas leak appeared to be a church boiler. Earlier in the day work was done to the boiler, a witness told officials.

The building was evacuated and all the utilities were shut down. CO levels started to go down once everything was turned off, said officials.

Besides the people hospitalized about 10 other people at the church were given oxygen on the scene, said officials.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
Email
|
Print
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out