Firefighter Released After Fire With "Troubling" Cause

Seven injured in Friday night fire

By Matthew Stabley
|  Wednesday, Feb 29, 2012  |  Updated 5:12 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Firefighter Released After "Troubling" Fire

advertisement

One firefighter remains hospitalized after a blaze in Prince George’s County that injured seven.

Bladensburg volunteer firefighter Ethan Sorrell, 21, was released from the Burn Center Tuesday evening.

Kevin O'Toole, 22, a Bladensburg volunteer firefighter who suffered second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body, was in good spirits Tuesday but remains hospitalized. He is making progress following his first round of skin grafts Monday. He remains in intensive care and will have a second round of skin grafts later this week.

A fire official told News4 Tuesday that the cause of the fire is troubling but did not elaborate.

The fire broke out shortly after 9 p.m. Friday at a single-family, single-story home in the 6400 block of 57th Street in Riverdale. Firefighters were trying to enter the building when a rush of air from the rear of the house created a fireball that engulfed the respondents, investigators said. According to Prince George's Fire Spokesman Mark Brady, the sudden rush of air was caused by either a door or window being opened or broken out.

Brady said that the home appeared to be vacant, though a car was parked in the driveway.

About 65 firefighters responded to the blaze.

Follow NBC Washington to get the latest news, events and entertainment anytime, anywhere: on air, online, and on Facebook // Twitter.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out