Twenty-one-year-old Adam Michael Lockard, a former summer employee at City Bikes in the Washington, DC area, was attending Western State College in Gunnison. He and another WSC student, 18-year-old Lucy Causley of Harbor Springs, Mich., died in the fire in the 100 block of N. Colorado Street Saturday morning.
An initial investigation indicated the fire started on the outside of the house and spread inside, according to the Denver Post. Officials said they are still trying to determine whether the fire was intentionally set or accidental.
Four other people were able to escape the flames. Three were identified as current students at Western State College and one is a former student. Two of the people who escaped also lived at the house with Lockhard. Causley was a guest.
No major injuries were reported. A Gunnison police officer had eye injuries from broken glass and a firefighter suffered smoke and heated air inhalation. Both were treated and released from Gunnison Valley Hospital.
“We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragedy,” said Jay Helman, WSC President, in a press release. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the students’ families and friends during this difficult time.”
WSC is planning a memorial program for Lockard and Causley. The College is also providing a counseling center for students as well.
Both students' families have been notified.