A Giant Food grocery store in the Cabin John Shopping Center was evacuated after 14 people fell ill and complained of a strange odor in the store.
Montgomery County fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia said six people were sent to the hospital and more may follow. Firefighters and a hazardous materials team were called to the scene at about 1:20 p.m. Tuesday.
Garcia said firefighters are evaluating 14 people who felt ill after smelling what they thought was gasoline throughout the store. It's not clear how many are store employees and how many are customers.
The store was evacuated, along with two smaller shops nearby.