Liz Crenshaw's Guide to Consumer Issues, Recalls and More

Small Button Battery Warning

By Liz Crenshaw and Katie Roberts
|  Thursday, Oct 31, 2013  |  Updated 6:16 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Small Button Battery Warning

advertisement

We've warned parents about this before, and now a one-year-old child is dead after swallowing a small camera battery.

Family members of the one-year-old didn't know he had ingested the battery until after the autopsy was performed.  The boy died earlier this month in Nevada of internal bleeding.

This tragedy should serve as a reminder- keep small batteries, including coin lithium batteries, away from small children. SafeKids.org reports more than 2,800 children are treated in emergency rooms every year after swallowing button batteries.

Those numbers have gone up in recent years.. since more electronics are on the market. If you suspect your child has ingested a battery, take him or her straight to the hospital.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out