The Arlington County Board has unanimously approved an increase in parking rates at the Ballston Public Parking Garage.
The increase is the first rate change to come into effect since 1996, though the board kept the $1 fare for visits lasting less than three hours in place. The board says that revenues from the increased rate will be used to fund capital improvements, specifically slab waterproofing and façade repairs, as well as new signage and updated payment equipment. Revenues will also be used to repay bonds used to finance the garage that mature in 2017.
“This important garage, located in the heart of the Metro corridor and serving the Ballston Mall and the Kettler Capitals Iceplex, dates back to the 1950s, and its age is showing,’ County Board Chair Mary Hughes Hynes said in a statement. “This increase, the first in many years, is necessary to pay for much-needed improvements and to ensure that the garage can continue to serve our community for decades to come.”
The specific fare changes are as follows:
- The rate for visits lasting up to 4 hours has been increased from $2.50 to $3.00
- The rate for visits lasting up to 5 hours has been increased from $4.00 to $5.00
- The rate for visits lasting up to 6 hours has been increased from $5.00 to $6.00
- The rate for visits lasting up to 7 hours has been increased from $6.00 to $7.00
- The rate for visits lasting up to 8 hours has been increased from $7.00 to $8.00
- The maximum daily rate has been increased from $8.00 to $10.00
As part of the rate increases, the board also adopted a five-day monthly rate of $105.00 and a seven-day monthly rate of $145.00.
The rate increases are expected to take effect May 1.