Are home renters covered for damage caused by flooding?
The Insurance Information Institute told us that:
- Flood damage is usually NOT covered… even if you have renter’s insurance.
- Just like homeowner’s insurance, renters can buy a separate policy from the National Flood Insurance Program and from a few private insurers.
- And there is typically a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before the new policy goes into effect.
Why are car manufacturers no longer putting whitewall tires on cars?
- The move from whitewall tires to blackwall tires began many years ago.
- Vehicle manufacturers choose a specific tire style as part of the overall look of a car.
- The current styling trend is a high rim diameter tire with black sidewalls.
- Since the car manufacturers also drive replacement tire sales, the demand for whitewall tires is decreasing every year.
How do you clean up a broken CFL bulb, and how do you properly dispose of a CFL after it burns out?
The Environmental Protection Agency says there are important guidelines to follow:
- Before cleaning up a broken bulb, air out the room for at least 15 minutes as a precaution.
- Next, carefully scoop up glass fragments using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar or a sealed plastic bag.
- Finally, place all clean-up materials and the bulb pieces outdoors in the trash.
- For burnt out bulbs that aren’t broken, the EPA recommends that consumers take advantage of local recycling centers.
- However, if your state environmental regulatory agency permits putting CFLs in the trash, seal the bulb in two plastic bags and put it in the outside trash.
- For more information about CFLs and to find recycling centers near you, visit the Energy Star FAQ page.
Don't miss a new "Ask Liz" every Friday during News4 at 4 and News4 at 5.
Got a question for "Ask Liz"? Send any consumer questions to email@example.com.