Liz Crenshaw's Guide to Consumer Issues, Recalls and More

Ask Liz: Are Poinsettia Plants Toxic?

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    They're not toxic, but please don't eat them.

    It's the holidays, and many people use poinsettia plans to decorate their homes. But is there any danger to decorating with poinsettias? Could they potentially be toxic to humans or pets?

    The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Society of American Florists filled us in.

    The Society of American Florists says that Ohio State University tested all parts of this popular holiday plant and concluded that the poinsettia is non-toxic to both humans and pets.

    As with any non-food product, the poinsettia is not meant to be eaten and can cause varying degrees of discomfort. The ASPCA agrees and says to keep poinsettia plants out of reach of young children and curious pets.