50 Evacuated After College Park Fire

Investigators believe an unattended candle started it

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK

    Around 50 residents of an assisted living apartment building were evacuated Saturday afternoon after a fire broke out in a sixth-floor apartment.

    The fire broke out at around 2:30 p.m., when Prince George's County police officers noticed black smoke issuing from the sixth floor of the seven-story apartment building at 4711 Berwyn House Road in College Park. Authorities say that the officers went up to the sixth floor and determined that there was no one in the apartment where the fire originated.

    Most of the residents who left their apartments stayed in the building's lobby or community room. They were given the all-clear to go back to their rooms at around 3:15 p.m.

    No injuries were reported, though one of the responding police officers was treated by paramedics for smoke exposure.

    Investigators believe the fire may have been started by an unattended candle. Three apartments were rendered uninhabitable by water damage.