Forty-one rabbits are looking for new homes after surviving a house fire in New Carrolton, Md., Prince George's County Fire officials announced Wednesday.
Officials say the resident of the home was taking a nap Sunday afternoon when a burning log fell out of the fireplace and ignited nearby combustibles. The homeowner safely escaped the fire, but numerous pets were discovered inside the home in the 6600 block of Adrian Street.
Firefighters were able to save 41 rabbits, but now they need new homes.
The county's animal shelter is offering the pets for a discounted rate of $30, which includes spaying or neutering the rabbits.
"Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter," one animal management official warned.
Call the Animal Shelter at 301-780-7201 if you're interested in adopting one of the rabbits.