13 Displaced by Chillum Duplex Fire

Investigators believe malfunctioning heat pump responsible

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012  |  Updated 1:30 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
13 Displaced by Chillum Duplex Fire

13 people have been displaced after a fire broke out at a duplex in Chillum Sunday morning.

Prince George's Fire personnel responded to the 2500 block of Van Buren Street at approximately 10:45 a.m. Sunday. According to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady, the fire reached into the attic of the one-and-a-half story duplex and damage to the building was "significant," though an estimated loss has not been provided.

Investigators believe that the fire was started by a malfunctioning outdoor heat pump unit. Both of the duplex's homes are considered unsafe. Two people were forced to leave one home, while 11 left the other. It is not known how many of the displaced people are full-time residents.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for more on this developing story.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out