Workers Evacuated After Chemical Leak

By Brandon Benavides
|  Tuesday, Feb 8, 2011  |  Updated 8:15 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Workers Evacuated After Chemical Leak

An ammonia leak forced 100 employees to evacuate a warehouse early Tuesday morning in Prince George’s County.

Investigators said a pipe began leaking anhydrous ammonia at the Smithfield Packing Company in Cheverly, Md., at 12:15 a.m.
 
The chemical is used in industrial refrigeration applications. It is a colorless, highly irritating gas with a sharp, suffocating odor.
 
It took four hours to fix the problem.
 
Seventy firefighters and Hazmat teams responded to the call.
  
No injuries were reported.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993, in... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out