The following recipes were provided by Sodexo at the 2012 NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo. Enjoy!
FRUIT & VEGETABLE SALAD
Yield: 6 - 2 oz
1 1/2 Ounce Green Onions, Fresh SLICED
2 3/4 Ounce Papaya, Fresh DICED 1/4"
2 3/4 Ounce English Cucumbers, Fresh DICED 1/4"
2 3/4 Ounce Fresh Pineapple DICED 1/4"
1 1/2 Ounce Red Peppers, Fresh CHOPPED FINE
2 Tablespoon + 2 Teaspoon Cilantro Leaves, Fresh CHOPPED
1 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Fresh Orange Juice
In a bowl, add all ingredients. Combine until well-blended. Hold refrigerated at internal temperature of 40 degrees F. or below for use.
HERB CRUSTED BAKED SALMON
Yield: 8 portions
1 1/2 pounds salmon (or other fish) cut in 3.5 oz portions
1 tsp black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped small
1 Tbsp basil chopped
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp orange zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish
2. In a mixing bowl combine the garlic, dill, thyme, parsley, basil, lemon and orange zest to make the crust. Separately mix the juices together.
3. Place the salmon in the dish, brush with mixed juice and sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper.
4. Cover the fish with the mixture.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a fork pulls out smoothly from the thickest part of the fillets.
Portion: 6 - 8 oz ladle
Spinach in Yogurt Chickpea flour Sauce Flavored with Cumin and Curry Leaves
1 Cup Non Fat Plain Yogurt
Chickpea Flour 1/2 Cup
1 1/2 Pint Water
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1/4 Tsp Asafetida Powder (hing)
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seed
12 Fresh Curry Leaves
2 1/2 Ounce Yellow Onions, Fresh CHOPPED FINE
1 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger Root, Fresh MINCED
1 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic, Fresh MINCED
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1/4 Teaspoon Chili Powder
4 Ounce Chopped Spinach, Frozen
1. In a medium bowl, whisk yogurt, chickpea flour and water. Mix well to remove lumps.
2. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add asafetida and stir for 10 seconds. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves, sauté for 45 seconds or until they begin to crackle.
3. Add onions. Cook until translucent. Add ginger and garlic to onions. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add turmeric and chili powder. Cook for 1 additional minute.
4. Add yogurt mixture to onion mixture, stirring thoroughly. Stir occasionally to avoid lumps. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in spinach. Continue to cook for additional 5 minutes. Hold Hot.
Serving Suggestion: Prior to service, garnish with chopped cilantro. Usually served with Basmati Rice
ROASTED VEGETABLE AND WHOLE GRAIN BLEND SALAD
Yield: 16 cups
1/2 Lb Whole Grain Blend
1 Qt Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
8 oz green zucchini, halved lengthways and cut across in half moon
8 oz small button mushroom
8 oz red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
8 oz red peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 small butternut squash, peeled cut into chunks
8 cloves of garlic smashed
8 Sprigs each of Thyme
4 Sprigs of rosemary
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1/4 Cup olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
1 Tbsp each of Fresh Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary chopped
2 Tbsp basil chiffonade
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Add the vegetables and the garlic cloves and toss together with a vegetable cooking spray and add Sprigs of Rosemary, Thyme. Try to spread the vegetables out in one layer. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning it once halfway through cooking process. Remove the trays and carefully shaking them now and then, until the vegetables are cooked through and crisp around the edges. Sprinkle a little vinegar over the vegetables as soon as they come out of the oven and set aside to cool. When cool, tip on to a large chopping board, rough chop to smaller pieces.
3. Place the whole grain blend in a large saucepan, cover with Vegetable Stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender, and drain well. Dress with olive oil and the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and toss with fresh herbs and the roasted vegetables. Serve immediately.
Garnish: Dried Fruits and Nuts