The following recipes were provided by Providence Hospital Center's Bariatric Care Center and B Cafe at the 2012 NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo. Interested in more information regarding Providence’s Bariatric Care Center and other outpatient services, please contact 202-448-4080.
Description: Quick and easy recipe that’s full of flavor. This recipe works great for other types of seafood as well- scallops, monkfish, cod, and sole!
Serves: 4, Serving Size 6 oz (pre-cooked wt) | Prep Time: 10 min | Total Time: 20 minutes
4- 6 oz tilapia filets
1/4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon Island thyme
1. Wash and pay dry tilapia filets
2. Dredge in marinade for 2-3 minutes
3. Preheat grill or pan with oil
4. Grill tilapia 5 minutes per side or until fish is flaky and tender
Per serving : 164 Calories; 5 g Fat; 1.1 g Sat; 64 mg Cholesterol; 0.0 g Carbohydrates; 30 g Protein; 0.0g Fiber; 63 mg Sodium; 429 mg Potassium
Simple Sautéed Spinach
Description: Sauté spinach (or any greens) with garlic and add a squeeze of lemon (or vinegar) at the end for a touch of tartness.
Serves: 6, Yield: 1 ½ cups each | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
20 ounces fresh spinach
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and cook until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add spinach, and toss to coat.
4. Cover and cook until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, salt and crushed red pepper.
6. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Per serving : 67 Calories; 5 g Fat; 0.6 g Sat; 0.0 mg Cholesterol; 4.6 g Carbohydrates; 3.1 g Protein; 2.3 g Fiber; 179.6 mg Sodium; 592 mg Potassium
Lemon Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
Description: Spiked with lots of zesty lemon, this delectable chicken stir-fry has a colorful mix of snow peas, carrots and scallions. But feel free to substitute other thinly sliced vegetables, such as bell peppers or zucchini. Serve with: Rice noodles or brown rice.
4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each | Active Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
1 lemon or ½ cup lemon juice
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 cup diagonally sliced carrots, (1/4 inch thick)
2 cups snow peas, (6 ounces), stems and strings removed
1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, white and green parts divided
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ginger
1. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest and set aside. Juice the lemon and whisk 3 tablespoons of the juice with broth, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs. Add mushrooms and carrots to the pan and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add snow peas, scallion whites, garlic, ginger and the reserved lemon zest. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add to the pan; cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallion greens and the chicken and any accumulated juices; cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving : 225 Calories; 6 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 63 mg Cholesterol; 14 g Carbohydrates; 27 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 448 mg Sodium; 796 mg Potassium
Triple Berry Trifle
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user RAEOFLIGHT.
Description: This fun, low calorie, fruit dessert is tasty but will not pack on the pounds after your dinner meal. It also provides a source of fiber and antioxidants and a perfect dish for Diabetes.
Serves: 12 servings; ½ cup| Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes
1 pkg (8 ounces) fat free cream cheese
2 cups fat free milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) fat free sugar free Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie
1 tub Cool Whip Free, thawed
2 pkgs (about 4-serving size) of frozen mixed berries, thawed
1 pkg. sugar free angel food cake, cut into cubes
1 ounce of slivered almonds, toasted *optional
1. Beat cream cheese with hand blender until smooth.
2. Gradually add in 1/2 cup of milk and blend.
3. Add the remaining milk and pudding mix to mixture and beat on low speed with hand blender for about 2 minutes.
4. Gently stir in Cool Whipped topping with mixing spoon.
To assemble the trifle, cover the bottom layer of the serving bowl with angel food cake cubes. Then cover the cake cube layers with frozen mixed berries. Finish the layer with the pudding mixture and repeat until serving glass bowl is filled to the top. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top of fill mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Tip: *To toast nuts: Place almonds in a dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
Per Serving: Calories 122.2, Total Fat 0.1 g, Cholesterol 4.2 mg, Sodium 365 mg, Total Carbohydrates 14.g, Dietary Fiber 1.0g, Protein 6.3g. (Does not include almonds)
Potato Salad Recipe
Description: Ever had an eggless potato salad? This tasty side dish gives you the same taste and flavor as a traditional potato salad but without the excessive calories and fat. Substitute the regular sugar for a sugar substitute sweetener, if you are a Diabetic. Eliminate the salt if you battle with issues of high blood pressure.
Serves: 12 servings, ½ cup| Active Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 60 minutes
6-8 medium size all purpose potatoes
1cup of veganaise
½ cup of sweet relish
2 bunches of green onions
1 diced red pepper
1 tablespoon of raw sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
2 tablespoons of organic cider vinegar
1. Boil potatoes until fork tender drain and let cool.
2. After potatoes cooled, mix all other ingredients in a large bowl with soften potatoes.
3. Adjust seasoning as needed for taste.
4. Once mixture together, cool in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or longer until ready serve.
Per Serving: Calories 212, Total Fat 6.8 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 603 mg, Total Carbohydrates 37 g, Dietary Fiber 3.6, Protein 3.1g.
This recipe was provided from a professional chef that produces large amounts of food in a restaurant. Measurement of ingredients may not be entirely accurate and may require an adjustment in the recipe. Providence Hospital has not duplicated this recipe in a kitchen with the proportions indicated and cannot guarantee completely accurate results.