Officials Say 2 Dead, 4 Sick From Wild Mushrooms

Deputies determined the deaths were an accident.

Monday, Nov 12, 2012  |  Updated 10:40 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Officials: 2 Dead, 4 Sick From Wild Mushrooms

AP

Two women died after eating soup that had been prepared with wild mushrooms.

advertisement

Two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms, authorities said.

Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee that Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.

The caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened, said Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed. The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.

Deputies determined the deaths were an accident after they were called to the Gold Age Villa in Loomis on Friday, Reed said. The caregiver "just didn't know" the mushrooms were poisonous, he told the newspaper.

Placer County officials referred questions about the incident to the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.

Michael Weston, an official with the agency, said the incident was under investigation and had no further details to release. He said the facility is licensed to care for up to six elderly residents.

A call to Gold Age Villa was not immediately returned.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out