Liz Crenshaw's Guide to Consumer Issues, Recalls and More

Ask Liz: Black Licorice Overdose?

By Liz Crenshaw
|  Friday, Oct 19, 2012  |  Updated 8:00 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Ask Liz: Black Licorice Overdose?

BW Folsom, Shutterstock

advertisement

Viewers have heard that eating too much black licorice can make you sick.

As it turns out, some people can overdose on black licorice, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

Those 40 and older who eat 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could end up in the hospital with an irregular heartbeat, the FDA said. That’s caused by a sweetening compound that can cause potassium levels in the body to fall.

Potassium levels usually return to normal when black licorice consumption stops.

The FDA advises people of all ages shouldn’t eat large amounts of black licorice in one sitting.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out