A Richmond, Va., boy died of a brain infection from a microscopic bug, according to the Times-Dispatch.
Christian Alexander Strickland, 9, of Henrico County died Aug. 5.
His mother, Amber Strickland, said she received the autopsy results on Friday and it confirmed the cause of death was inflammation of the brain and its lining triggered by the amoeba.
State officials said the bug thrives in stagnant, freshwater lakes and ponds during warm weather. They issued a health advisory Saturday. It’s the first case of an amoeba-related death in Virginia since 1969, the Times-Dispatch reported.
Strickland said her son attended a day camp that included fishing the week before he died. However, the state epidemiologist said it may never be clear exactly where the boy acquired the amoeba.