Amoeba Blamed for Death of Richmond Boy

By Kathy Banks
|  Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011  |  Updated 8:35 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Amoeba Blamed for Death of Richmond Boy

A Richmond, Va., boy died of a brain infection from a microscopic bug, according to the Times-Dispatch.

Christian Alexander Strickland, 9, of Henrico County died Aug. 5.

His mother, Amber Strickland, said she received the autopsy results on Friday and it confirmed the cause of death was inflammation of the brain and its lining triggered by the amoeba.

State officials said the bug thrives in stagnant, freshwater lakes and ponds during warm weather. They issued a health advisory Saturday. It’s the first case of an amoeba-related death in Virginia since 1969, the Times-Dispatch reported.

Strickland said her son attended a day camp that included fishing the week before he died. However, the state epidemiologist said it may never be clear exactly where the boy acquired the amoeba.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
NBC4's Camp4Kids
NBC4 launched Camp4Kids in 1993,... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out