Salvage Your 'Little Fir Tree'
Once the holidays are over, you can reuse or recycle your cut tree
Don't forget to remove all of your Christmas decorations before recycling your tree.
Once the holidays are over, there's a better way to dispose of your cut tree than to toss it on the curb.
After you remove all ornaments, decorations, tinsel, nails and the tree stand, you can recycle it at the following locations:
- In Washington, residents can bring trees to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station for free tree chipping weekdays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- In Montgomery County, Md., residents can drop off trees at the Solid Waste Transfer Station at 16101 Frederick Road
- In Manassas, Va, you can drop off trees to be mulched at the yard waste collection area at the Prince William County Landfill at 14811 Dumfries Road. Call 703-792-5750 for details.
- At the Balls Ford Road Compost Facility, located at 13000 Balls Ford Road in Manassas, materials will be ground up as mulch or placed in compost piles. Call 703-792-6804 for details.
- At the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) located at 5399 Wellington Branch Road in Gainesville, Va., place your tree in the designated area of the parking lot any time between Dec. 29, 2008, and Jan. 7, 2009. The trees will be mulched.
From December 26, 2008 to January 20, 2009, Christmas trees will be also accepted free of charge at:
- Claude Moore Park, 21544 Old Vestal's Gap Road, Sterling VA 20164. Use the Loudoun Park Lane entrance and go to the ball fields. Open daily 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- South Riding in Loudoun County: Diagonally across Center Street from Town Hall, in the parking lot near the intersection of South Riding Boulevard and Center Street. Open daily.
- Loudoun County Landfill Recycling Dropoff Center, 20939 Evergreen Mill Road, Leesburg, VA 20175. Open Monday to Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Franklin Park Pool Parking Lot, 17501 Franklin Park Drive, Purcellville, VA 20132. Open daily 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.