Recipes for Natural Insect Repellents
- cinnamon oil (for mosquitoes)
- lemon eucalyptus or regular eucalyptus oil (mosquitoes, ticks and lice)
- citronella oil (mosquitoes and biting flies)
- castor oil (mosquitoes)
- orange oil (fleas)
- rose geranium (ticks and lice)
Safe carrier oils and alcohols include:
- olive oil
- sunflower oil
- any other cooking oil
- witch hazel
Combine 10-25 drops (total) of essential oils with 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil or alcohol.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons total of any combination of the following essential oils: basil, cedar wood, citronella, juniper, lemon, myrrh, palmarosa, pine, rose geranium and/or rosemary (available at health food stores)
- 1 cup 190-proof grain alcohol (available in liquor stores)
Place ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously. Transfer to small bottles for storage. To use, rub a small amount on any exposed skin (test first to be sure your skin will not be adversely affected by the repellent) or dab it on clothing.