Several companies in the Washington area have been recognized by Working Mother Magazine as among the best workplaces for mothers.
It has been 25 years since the magazine first challenged workplaces to enact family-friendly policies.
Now, 70 percent of mothers work and women outnumber men in the workplace for the first time in U.S. history, according to Working Mother Media.
“The immense influx of women into the workforce demanded changes in workplace culture as companies strove to keep working moms’ talent and loyalty,” said Carol Evans, president of Working Mother Media, in a statement.
Companies that earn spots on the Working Mother 100 Best Companies list are more likely than others to offer telecommuting, formal mentoring, health insurance for part-timers, flextime, paid maternity leave, lactation rooms, on-site childcare, mental health consultations, elder-care resources, health screening and wellness programs.
Companies on the list with headquarters in our area include:
- Arnold & Porter – Washington, D.C.
- Covington & Burling – Washington, D.C.
- Fannie Mae – Washington, D.C.
- FINRA – Washington, D.C.
- National Education Association – Washington, D.C.
- Marriott International, Inc. – Bethesda, Md.
- Discovery Communications – Silver Spring, Md.
- Freddie Mac – McLean, Va.
- Capital One Financial Corporation – McLean, Va.