<![CDATA[NBC4 Washington - Breaking News]]>Copyright 2017http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/breaking http://media.nbcnewyork.com/designimages/WASH+NBC4+BLUE.png NBC4 Washington http://www.nbcwashington.comen-usTue, 19 Sep 2017 07:53:41 -0400Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:53:41 -0400NBC Owned Television Stations <![CDATA[Japan Reacts to North Korean Missile Fired Over Country]]> Fri, 15 Sep 2017 16:26:03 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+JAPAN+REAX+NK+MISSILE+THUMB.jpg

North Korea fired another missile over Japan Friday. The missile flew over the island of Hakkaido and landed in the Pacific Ocean. Experts estimate the ballistic missile flew over 2,300 miles, which would mean it is capable of reaching Guam.

<![CDATA[Hurricane Irma’s Path of Destruction]]> Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:53:16 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+NAT+Hurricane+Irma+THUMB2.jpg

Hurricane Irma has cut a huge path of destruction through several Caribbean islands on its path toward the United States. See what the aftermath looked like as some of those islands began to recover.

<![CDATA[Ahead of Irma, Florida’s Key Largo Is a Ghost Town]]> Fri, 08 Sep 2017 16:25:05 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+IRMA+KEY+LARGO+THUMB.jpg

A time-lapse video of the drive north on US-1 from Key Largo shows near-empty roads after Floridians evacuated ahead of Hurricane Irma. The storm is expected to slam into the area early Sunday morning as a Category 4 storm.

<![CDATA[Cellphone Video of Hurricane Irma Over Turks And Caicos]]> Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:33:08 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+HURRICANE+IRMA+TURKS+CAICOS+THUMB.jpg

Dramatic cellphone video captures Hurricane Irma as it approached Turks and Caicos. The storm is responsible for at least 11 deaths and is expected to hit Miami early Sunday morning.

<![CDATA[Photos: Deadly Terrorist Attacks in Barcelona, Cambrils]]> Fri, 18 Aug 2017 09:14:03 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/GettyImages-833993788.jpg At least 14 people were killed and many more injured in Barcelona, Spain, Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017, after a white van jumped a curb and slammed into people on a busy sidewalk, police said. The alleged driver fled the scene of the crash. South of Barcelona in Cambrils, police killed five suspects after authorities said they also drove a car into people, injuring six, in a linked attack. Those suspects wore fake bombs.

Photo Credit: Nicolas Carvalho Ochoa/Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Country Music Artist Glen Campbell Dies at 81]]> Tue, 08 Aug 2017 17:49:31 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+GLEN+CAMPBELL+DEATH+THUMB.jpg

Country music legend Glen Campbell died Tuesday following a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. The musician was 81. During his recording career, Campbell released more than 70 albums and sold more than 45 million records, including the popular hits “Gentle on My Mind” and “Rhinestone Cowboy.”

<![CDATA[Explosion at Minneapolis School]]> Wed, 02 Aug 2017 18:15:24 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT_MINNEAPOLIS_SCHOOL_EXPLOSION_080217-150169756219600001.jpg

One person has been found dead and another is still unaccounted for after an explosion Wednesday morning caused the partial collapse of a Minneapolis college prep school. Authorities say it was a natural gas explosion.

<![CDATA[May: UK Threat Level Raised to Critical]]> Tue, 23 May 2017 18:20:48 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/TheresaMay-149557577419400001.jpg

Prime Minister Theresa May announced the United Kingdom's threat level has been raised from severe to critical, its highest level, on Tuesday, May 23, 2017, a day after a suicide bombing in Manchester left 22 dead and 59 wounded.

<![CDATA[Trump Denies Asking Comey to Close Flynn Probe]]> Thu, 18 May 2017 17:53:13 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DIT+TRUMP+PRESSER+051817THUMB.jpg

President Donald Trump responded to questions about the Russia investigation at a news conference Thursday with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos. Trump denied the allegation that he urged former FBI Director James Comey to back off his investigation into former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.

<![CDATA[Egyptian Forces Clear Cairo Mosque of Protesters]]> Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:29:27 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/egypt+protests1.JPG
Egyptian security forces cleared a Cairo mosque Saturday where protesters had taken refuge and organized an open-air morgue and makeshift field hospital for injured supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi. As military forces encircled the al-Fath mosque in Ramses Square, gunman positioned on the mosque's minaret fired on the forces below, triggering the ouster of pro-Morsi protesters, The Associated Press reported. Security officials said the raid was prompted by fears that the Muslim Brotherhood planned to stage a sit-in at Ramses Square similar to those broken up by the military on Wednesday. Also Saturday, disturbing video emerged showing an apparently unarmed protester being shot with his arms raised as he walked toward armored vehicles. With Egypt's death toll rising to 800 over four days of violence, the country's interim government said it was mulling whether to ban the Brotherhood. The group, which rose to power in Egypt's first democratic elections a year ago, has been banned for most of its 85-year history, the AP reported.
Get More at NBCNews

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[5 Women Die in Limousine Fire on Calif. Bridge]]> Mon, 06 May 2013 06:34:03 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/214*120/limofirenew.jpg

Five women in their 30s died Saturday night when a stretch limousine burst into flames on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over the San Francisco Bay, police confirmed to NBC News.

Four other people in the limo escaped with burn and smoke inhalation injuries, California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel said. The car's driver was unhurt. 

Montiel said the women were "probably killed by the fire," though the cause of death has not been confirmed, NBC News reported.

Witnesses told NBC Bay Area the white Lincoln Town Car was not involved in an accident prior to catching on fire. It was not clear what could have sparked the flames. 

The car was driving from Alameda to Foster City, Montiel said.

When asked if an "explosion" had occurred, Montiel told NBC News it was unconfirmed, however he did say the "vehicle was partially engulfed."'

A viewer named David Solomon sent in the picture above that he said of was of the limo.

The fire was first reported around 10 p.m. in the third lane of westbound state Highway 92, according to the California Highway Patrol. 

The bridge, located about 20 miles southeast of San Francisco, connects San Mateo and Alemada counties. The westbound lanes were closed for several hours.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Photo Credit: David Solomon]]>
<![CDATA[4-Year-Old Girl Struck by Car in Germantown]]> Sat, 09 Mar 2013 22:28:30 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/police+line+yellow+%5Bgenericsla%5D.jpg

A 4-year-old girl is in the hospital after being struck by a vehicle in Montgomery County, Maryland.

It happened Saturday on the 11600 block of Summer Oak in Germantown. Officials say the girl suffered serious injuries and was flown to a local trauma center. The driver of the striking vehicle stayed on the scene, according to police.

Stay with NBC Washington for further updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: Getty Images / Scott Olson]]>
<![CDATA[White House Press Secretary Discusses Conn. School Shooting]]> Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:55:05 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/whitehouse4.jpg White House Press Secretary Jay Carney discusses Friday's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

<![CDATA[Arrest in Vanessa Pham Murder]]> Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:49:17 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Vanessa+Pham.jpeg

Fairfax County police arrested a man in the June 2010 murder of 19-year-old Vanessa Pham.

U.S. marshals picked up 27-year-old Julio Miguel Blanco-Garcia, of Falls Church, Thursday shortly after noon at a house under construction in Vienna, where Garcia was working. They turned him over to Fairfax County police. He was charged with murder and questioned.

Pham was found dead on Arlington Boulevard in Falls Church, Va. Her car was found in a ditch. She had been stabbed multiple times in the upper body.

In surveillance video showing Pham driving her car at the Fairfax Plaza Shopping Center just before her murder, she did not appear to be in distress.

Investigators developed Garcia as a suspect earlier this week through analysis of forensic evidence, police said. Garcia had several prior arrests for public drunkenness and petty larceny. according to authorities.

He was scheduled for an information hearing Friday, but it was rescheduled for Dec. 21 because he didn't have an attorney yet.

Lt. Col. James Morris, Fairfax County's acting chief of police, said they do not believe Garcia and Pham knew each other.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

<![CDATA[Life Without Parole in 12-Year-Old's Death]]> Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:23:58 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/hang-nguyen-composite-high.jpg

A Maryland man was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole in the death of his 12-year-old stepdaughter.

David Hang, 43, was found guilty of first-degree murder in August in the stabbing death of Jessica Nguyen, a sixth-grade student at Gaithersburg Middle School.

Hang stabbed and cut Jessica more than 40 times with a small sword in her family’s Gaithersburg home in May 2011, prosecutors said.

In court Monday,  Hang maintained his innocence, News4's Chris Gordon reported.

"I will tell you that I was offended personally by the comments of Mr. Hang, who did not testify in his own trial but took today's opportunity, without being subject to cross examination, to put forth what was his defense," Montgomery County State's Attorney John McCarthy said.

Judge Sharon Burrell passed down the most severe sentence possible due to the brutal nature of the crime, Gordon reported. In Maryland, the death penalty is only a possibility if there were multiple murder victims.

"This child had not a chance, and this man was armed with a weapon, and the savagery in the killing made this sentence absolutely just and fair," McCarthy said.

Jessica's sister Belinda, who found Jessica's body in the basement of the home, said she will be haunted the rest of her life.

DNA lifted from the small sword's sheath found at the crime scene helped lead police to Hang in October 2011. A bloody boot print found at the scene also matched Hang, police said, and Hang, who was a Ride On bus driver in Montgomery County, had taken off from work the afternoon of the murder.

Prosecutors argued that Jessica’s mother had an "immigration sham-like marriage" with Hang, and Hang was angry she would not let him out of it. Despite not getting the divorce he wanted, he married a new wife and wanted to get her medical insurance, prosecutors said.

Previous Coverage:

<![CDATA[Comptroller Wants People to "Shop Maryland"]]> Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:04:45 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/222*120/th11.jpg

The holiday shopping season is in full swing, and Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot is encouraging residents to "Shop Maryland for the Holidays" this year.

Visiting local shops today in Bethesda, he kicked off his annual tour throughout the state promoting small business patronage.

“There is something to be said for the personal interactions with other shoppers and store employees at the holidays. It’s warm and inviting, unlike a cold, unfeeling computer,” Franchot said. “Plus when you shop in state and support your community businesses, you are bound to find great deals and help the more than 500,000 Marylanders employed in our state’s retail sector. And really, isn’t the spirit of the holidays all about helping others and kindness?”

Downtown Bethesda is the first of several stops on the comptroller’s tour to promote the great retailers and community shopping areas throughout the state. In the coming weeks he will visit other communities such as Reisterstown (Baltimore County), Cumberland (Allegany County), Chestertown (Kent County) and Leonardtown (St. Mary’s County). In past years, the comptroller has shopped in Queenstown, Hunt Valley, Baltimore City, Takoma Park, Cumberland, Annapolis, Hagerstown, Easton and Salisbury.

<![CDATA[1 Child, 3 Adults Killed in Car Crash]]> Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:20:44 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/police-line-generic722.jpg

Four people, including a child, are dead after an accident in Anne Arundel County Sunday afternoon.

It happened around 1:30 p.m. on Marley Neck Road near Freeman Shores Road in Glen Burnie. Officials say two motor vehicles collided. Three adults and one child were killed in the crash, according to investigators.

Traffic safety is currently investigating the cause of the accident. Police have not yet revealed the ages or names of the victims.

Photo Credit: NBC10Philadelphia.com ]]>
<![CDATA[Bowie St. Defense Atty: "We Are Very Gratified"]]> Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:05:10 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/bowie-composite1.jpg

A jury found former Bowie State student Alexis Simpson not guilty on all seven counts in the fatal stabbing of her roommate Dominique Frazier in September 2011.

The jury got the case Thursday afternoon and had a verdict in about three hours.

Simpson left the court house in Prince George's County without speaking to the media, but her attorney spoke on her behalf.

"This is a self-defense case," said defense attorney Christopher Griffiths. "Alexis, in my mind, there is no question, acted in self defense. We are very gratified by the verdict."

Prosecutor Tara Jackson said the jury did its job. "We did the very best we knew how to do -- we presented the evidence as it was, and the jury gave us their verdict."

Simpson, 20, took the stand in her own defense Thursday morning. On Sept. 15, students were preparing for a homecoming comedy show when Simpson and Frazier got into an altercation over loud music playing from the victim’s iPod.

It would be the last in a series of disagreements the two had had that semester.

“She (Dominique) slammed the door and hit me in my face with the door pretty hard … It caused my head to jerk," Simpson testified. "She opened her door and stepped out … She said 'What’s up?' and started to swing. She uppercut me while holding my hair.”

Other witnesses testified that Simpson was the one to throw the first punch. After that initial fight, Simpson went to her room looking for her inhaler, she said.

Her attorney asked: "Did you take anything else out of your room?"

Simpson replied: "Yes, a knife ... It was a pocket knife."

Simpson described the moments leading up to the actual stabbing.

“Kiaira (Johnson, the victim’s friend) began to attack, pulling me by my hair, and I was scared," she testified, sometimes crying. "I did not know what they were going to do next. They continued to hit me, so I swung the knife … Then Dominique stopped swinging and grabbed her neck and blood was coming out, and I just wanted to help her.”

Simpson said she tried to call 911 and when the call didn’t go through, she followed Dominique as she stumbled to the hallway

“I laid down next to her and put my hand on her neck so blood wouldn’t come out," Simpson said. "I started to panic... There was foam coming out of her mouth… I didn’t know what to do.”

During cross examination Wednesday -- Day 2 of Simpson’s trial -- the state’s first witness, Frazier’s friend Kiaira Johnson, described what she saw when the stabbing happened.

“I didn’t even see the knife, but when Dominique hit her, the girl had the knife in her hand,” Johnson said. “I don’t think she meant to cut Dominique, but it just happened.”

Simpson and Frazier stopped getting along soon after the beginning of the school year.

In opening statements Tuesday, the attorney for the defense said Simpson told dorm management, “They are threatening me, and I’m afraid they are going to jump me … I just want to change rooms.” That request was denied.

<![CDATA[Baby Rushed From Metro to Hospital Pronounced Dead]]> Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:22:52 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/219*120/PHI+generic+ambulance+350+for+city+worker+shot.jpg

A newborn baby was pronounced dead at Children's National Medical Center Wednesday morning after being rushed from a Metro station.

D.C. Fire and EMS was called to L'Enfant after 8 a.m. for a report of an unconscious baby. Medics attempted to resuscitate the child.

There was no sign of trauma, but the cause of death is awaiting the autopsy, according to the fire department.

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating.

The child was four days old, according to Metro.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for more information as it becomes available.

Photo Credit: Chronis Jons/Riser/Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[1 Killed in Crash With Metrobus]]> Sat, 20 Oct 2012 08:34:50 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/180*120/FATALAX.jpg

One person is dead after a car and a Metrobus collided in Seat Pleasant, Md., according to Prince George's County police said.

The bus was struck from behind by one of two Mercedes Benzes that appeared to be racing, according to Metro. The striking vehicle then burst into flames.

Police have identified the deceased driver as 22-year-old Cleon David Wills of Bowie.

About 45 passengers were on the bus when the crash occurred at around 9:30 p.m. at the intersection of Central Avenue and Soper Lane. Police said that eight people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, none of which appeared to be serious.

The other Mercedes spun out and stayed at the scene, according to Metro. Two occupants of that car were taken into custody on suspicion of DUI. Investigators say that speed and alcohol appeared to be the two main factors in the crash.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com as this story develops.

<![CDATA[SUV Driver to Be Charged in Fatal Officer Crash]]> Sat, 20 Oct 2012 00:46:26 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/police-crash21.jpg

The driver of an SUV involved in a crash that killed an off-duty police officer will be charged, Prince George's County Police Chief Mark Magaw said Friday.

Officer Kevin Bowden, 28, was driving northbound on Branch Avenue when he was involved in a collision with an SUV at Surratts Road about 3 p.m. Thursday. His cruiser was forced into a utility pole.

"The preliminary investigation reveals that the actions of the driver of the SUV... caused the collision," Magaw said in a press conference Friday. "The driver had originally been in the left turn lane and at some point made a decision to cross several lanes of traffic, colliding with Officer Bowden's cruiser."

Following the crash, Bowden was taken to Southern Maryland Hospital Center, where he succumbed to his injuries.

The driver of the SUV, a 61-year-old woman, was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center. She remains hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. Investigators performed routine toxicology tests, but the results are not available yet, Magaw said.

Authorities were in contact with the state's attorney's office Friday morning. "They have been briefed on this case," Magaw said.

Investigators are continuing to look into all potential causes of the crash.

Based on physical evidence at the scene, Bowden's cruiser was likely traveling above the speed limit, Magaw said. The exact speed has not been determined, but Magaw said the information will become available in the future.


Authorities have also determined that Bowden was not wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.

This was the second fatal crash involving a Prince George's County officer who wasn't wearing his seatbelt in the past two months.

Officer Adrian Morris, 23, died after his cruiser ran off Interstate 95 while he and his partner were pursuing theft suspects Aug. 20.

During Friday's press conference, Magaw said he is very concerned about this issue. Seatbelts have to be worn in accordance with Maryland state law, Magaw said.

"This is a critical piece that we can control, frankly," he said. "There are so many things in this profession we can’t control. We have to control the things we can."

The department will begin a new safety campaign in December to raise awareness of seatbealt use among officers.

Born and raised in Cinton, Bowden was a graduate of Surrattsville High School. He was a six-year veteran of District 4 and leaves behind two children, ages 11 and 5.

"He was loved by his community and his department," Magaw said.

A statement from County Executive Rushern Baker on Thursday read, "Our county government, every community and every citizen of Prince George’s County grieves again this evening. Nearly two months to the day, we have lost another Prince George’s County Police Department officer, Kevin Bowden, as a result of a serious automobile accident. Our condolences go out to Officer Bowden’s family, friends and the Prince George’s County Police Department."

Stay with NBCWashington.com and News4 for more information.

<![CDATA[Police Officer Killed in Crash]]> Thu, 18 Oct 2012 22:45:24 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Deceased+Prince+Georges+Officer+Vigil+Salute+Close.jpg

UPDATED: An off-duty Prince George's County police officer was killed in a crash in Maryland Thursday afternoon.

Off-duty Officer Kevin Bowden was driving northbound on Branch Avenue when he was involved in a collision with an SUV at Surratts Road about 3 p.m., Prince George's County Police Chief Mark Magaw said. His cruiser was forced into a utility pole.

Witnesses told police the cruiser was cut off, but police have not determined if that caused the crash, Magaw said.

Bowden was taken to Southern Maryland Hospital Center where he succumbed to his injuries. He was 28 years old.

The female driver of the SUV was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center with non-life-threatening injuries.Officer+Kevin+Bowden

Bowden was a six-year veteran of the force, according to Prince George's officials who spoke at a press conference this evening. Bowden leaves behind a 10-year-old son and a 6-year-old daughter.

Branch Avenue was closed in both directions while police investigated, backing up rush hour traffic.

This is the second serious crash involving a Prince George's County officer in two months. Officer Adrian Morris, 23, died after his cruiser ran off Interstate 95 while he and his partner were pursuing theft suspects Aug. 20.

“Our county government, every community and every citizen of Prince George’s County grieves again this evening," read a statement from County Executive Rushern Baker. "Nearly two months to the day, we have lost another Prince George’s County Police Department officer, Kevin Bowden, as a result of a serious automobile accident. Our condolences go out to Officer Bowden’s family, friends and the Prince George’s County Police Department."

Stay with NBCWashington.com and News4 for more information.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Boy Falls From 9th Floor Apartment]]> Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:39:58 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/boy-fall-still-10-11-12.jpg

A child fell out a window on the ninth floor of an apartment building in Silver Spring, Md., Thursday afternoon, according to Montgomery County police.

A tree helped break the 4-year-old boy's fall in the 8800 block of Piney Branch Road about 3:15 p.m., News4's Shomari Stone reported.

The woman who found the child said he was crying in a bush. She didn’t know who his family was, so she called 911, Stone reported.

He suffered head injuries and a broken femur and was taken to Children’s Hospital in serious condition, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.

Family members were in the apartment when the boy fell, Stone reported.

Police and Child Protective Services are investigating the circumstances of the fall.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for the latest.

<![CDATA[Nats Clinch NL East Title]]> Thu, 04 Oct 2012 21:29:09 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Washington-Nats-P1.jpg

The following sentiment is something I'm sure Washington sports fans never thought they'd extend: Thank you, Pittsburgh.

The Nationals did not defeat the Philadelphia Phillies Monday, but the Atlanta Braves' 2-1 loss to the Pirates gave the Nats their first-ever division title in D.C. and D.C. its first title in the Major Leagues since 1933. Philadelphia defeated Washington 2-0, but that didn't stop the latter from popping bottles of champagne in the locker room.

With the division wrapped up, the Nationals will now wait for their National League Division Series opponent to be determined. They could either face the Braves or St. Louis Cardinals, who will likely face each other in a one-game playoff Friday, or the San Francisco Giants. 

That depends on whether or not Washington finishes with the National League's best record. The Cincinnati Reds, who entered Monday tied with the Nationals for that distinction, lost 4-2 to the Cardinals to fall one game back. Washington holds the tiebreaker due to more head-to-head victories, so Cincinnati must finish with a better record to earn the No. 1 seed. 

Because of an odd scheduling quirk this year, the Nationals will begin their postseason debut on the road for the first two games. Games 3, 4 and 5 (4 and 5 if necessary) will be held at Nationals Park.

Follow Adam on Twitter @AdamVingan and e-mail your story ideas to adamvingan (at) gmail.com.

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[NY Murder Suspect Found in Shenandoah Co.]]> Sat, 29 Sep 2012 08:40:00 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Anthony+Robert+Taglianetti+II.jpg

The suspect in the murder of a schools superintendent in western New York was apprehended by the U.S. Marshals Service Friday.

Partnered for the search, Deputy U.S. Marshal John Doss and a Harrisonburg police officer spotted Anthony Robert Taglianetti II's vehicle in the Fort Valley Road area, stopped him and took him in to custody without incident late Friday afternoon. Various leads led them to patrol the area.

The nationwide manhunt for the 42-year-old father of four from Woodbridge, Va., led investigators to Virginia after reports he was in Prince William County earlier this week. He was wanted in connection with the homicide of 51-year-old Keith Reed Jr.

Police found Reed, who was the superintendent in the small town of Clymer, N.Y., shot to death behind his home Monday.

At a press conference Thursday afternoon, authorities said they believe Reed was targeted and that it was an isolated incident.

Sources told News4 Reed was an acquaintance of Taglianetti's wife. Records show Reed was divorced, but his neighbors said he'd spoken of a fiancee with young children who lived several hours away.

Taglianetti received survival training while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps, but an official at Quantico said there is no record he received sniper training as was previously reported on News4 and NBCWashington.com.

The U.S. Marshals Service will turn Taglianetti over to New York law enforcement.

The Shenandoah County Sheriff's Office assisted in the search.

<![CDATA[New Details in Capitol Hill Beating]]> Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:19:05 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/MASLIN.jpg

The Metropolitan Police Department arrested three people in the brutal beating of a man near Eastern Market in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, officials announced Wednesday night.

Tommy Tyrone Branch, 21, of Fort Washington, Md.; 18-year-old Michael Moore, of Landover, Md., and a juvenile male were charged with armed robbery. The juvenile, 17-year-old Sunny Kuti, was charged as an adult. All are being held without bond.

Additional charges will be brought in the beating of 29-year-old Thomas Maslin, police said.

Maslin’s wife, Abby, said her husband is aware of the arrests. She showed him a news report Thursday.

“He was pretty astounded,” she said.

Maslin was nearly beaten to death a few weeks ago. A passerby found him on the porch of a house in the 700 block of North Carolina Avenue about 8:30 a.m. Aug. 18, almost eight hours after the attack.

Maslin had left the Tune Inn at Fourth Street and Pennsylvania in Southeast about 12:30 a.m. to walk home. At 12:57 a.m., someone attempted to use his credit card at the Exxon station in the 1200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

About 3:30 a.m., three individuals were arrested for the alleged robbery of cellphones from three men on 18th Street. Investigators found the three cellphones as well as a black iPhone. The three suspects were charged with armed robbery but were released by a judge into a high-intensity supervision program, the Associated Press reported.

Days later, police released surveillance video showing three people in a silver Hyundai at the Exxon station where there was an attempt to use Maslin's credit card.

A tip received Sept. 21 led police to the Hyundai and its owner -- Branch. That’s when the black iPhone was examined and determined to belong to Maslin after it had been sitting in the property control division for a month, News4's Jackie Bensen reported.

Anyone with knowledge of the incident should call police at 202-727-9099 or text 50411.

Photo Credit: Abigail Maslin]]>
<![CDATA[Flights Delayed Due to Bomb Threat at Dulles]]> Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:37:44 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Dulles+Airport+Delays+Bomb+Sniffing+Dogs+Andrew+Pedersen+092412.jpeg

A bomb threat at Dulles International Airport Monday night caused multiple flight delays, though a search found nothing suspicious.

The threat seemed to focus on two daily parking garages, and was received about 9 p.m. Police began searching the garages; a little after 11 p.m., the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority tweeted that the investigation had "negative results" and that the two garages were reopening.

Earlier, police had also searched terminals, but again, nothing was found. Passengers reported seeing bomb-sniffing dogs in terminals during the search.

By 11 p.m., all terminals were open and flights are operating normally, according to Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority representative Kim Gibbs.

However, earlier Monday evening, MWAA had asked all airlines not to approach terminal gates because of a security threat, according to a United Airlines spokesperson. Several departing flights were delayed.

MWAA denied passengers' reports of being told to evacuate at least one plane.

Below, see the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority's Tweets about Monday's events.

Photo Credit: Andrew Pedersen]]>
<![CDATA[CSX Train Derails in Ellicot City]]> Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:34:22 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/180*120/ellicottcitytrainderailment.JPG Two dead in CSX Train Derailment]]> <![CDATA[Planes Touch at Dulles]]> Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:35:06 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/50800426.jpg

Two planes came in contact with each other at Dulles International Airport Friday afternoon.

The right wing of Lufthansa Airbus 330 departing for Frankfurt, Germany, struck the tail of Colgan Flight 3912 operating as United Express and arriving from Pittsburgh as it taxied near Gate A about 3:20 p.m.

The arriving commuter flight was able to continue to the gate, and its 68 passengers safely deplaned.

The 183 passengers on the Lufthansa flight were taken off that plane, which maintenance is examinging to determine if it can fly. There's no word on when that inspection will be complete.

No injuries were reported.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

Photo Credit: Getty]]>
<![CDATA[Teen's Hand Stuck in Metro Escalator]]> Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:26:51 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Hand+Caught+in+Metro+Escalator.jpg

A 14-year-old boy's hand got stuck in a Metro escalator Tuesday evening.

The boy, who is from Canada and is visiting D.C. with his family, got four fingers caught at the bottom of an escalator at the National Mall entrance of the Smithsonian Metro Station after 8 p.m.

According to Metro, the teen's hand got stuck when he was trying to free his flip-flop, which got caught first.

He was conscious and breathing as crews worked for about 40 minutes to free his hand. He was taken to an area hospital.

The escalator remains out of service for evaluation but will probably be placed back in service Wednesday.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Driver Killed by Falling Tree in Great Falls]]> Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:56:55 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/718treekillsdriver.jpg

A man died when a huge tree fell on his car Tuesday evening.

The victim was driving along Georgetown Pike in Great Falls, Va., when the tree fell shortly after 6:30 p.m. Fairfax County police have identified him as 64-year-old Albert Carl Roeth III.

Fire crews were able to remove his body from the car, police said, after hours of work.

Georgetown Pike is closed between Walker Road and Stephanie Circle.

Authorities first reported that the victim was a woman, but Fairfax County Fire confirmed it was a man. He was the only person in the car.

Arborists determined the tree fell because it was completely decayed at the roots, News4's Erika Gonzalez reported. Another tree in the area also was found to be decayed at the roots and will be removed.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

<![CDATA[Man Playing Chicken Struck by Train]]> Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:51:22 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Rockville+Pedestrian+Struck+by+train+1.JPG

A pedestrian was struck by a train in Montgomery County, Md., Monday evening.

Montgomery County Police said the victim, 23, was struck by a CSX freight train at about 9:30 p.m. near Nebel Street and Randolph Road in Rockville while playing chicken, News4's Erika Gonzalez reported. He didn't make it and was clipped by the train.

He was hit in the head and suffered a leg laceration and was taken to Suburban Hospital. He is expected to be OK.

Police said the arms of the train crossing sign were down. 

Police said that the girlfriend of the victim, who was with him at the time of the incident, told them he had done this sort of thing before -- trying to get as close to the train as he could without getting hit.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Gas-Soaked SUV Driver Charged With Arson]]> Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:06:13 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Connecticut+Avenue+Car+Into+Building.jpg

D.C. police say that the man who drove an SUV into an office building in Northwest DC has been charged with three felonies, including arson.

32-year-old Charles Morrell Ball, of New Market, Maryland, was charged with felony destruction of property, arson, and felony unauthorized use of a vehicle.

The SUV crashed into the office building at 1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW at about 7:30 p.m. The FBI and a bomb squad were also called to the scene Friday night.

The Connecticut Avenue and L Street entrance to the Farragut North Metro Station was closed because of the police activity. That intersection of streets also was closed.

Police say that Ball is being held at a hospital for observation. Investigators are currently attempting to determine a motive.

Court records show that Ball is a registered sex offender. He was convicted of a third degree sex offense in April 2008. The Maryland Sex Offender Registry also lists Ball as owning a car whose license plates match those of the car that crashed into the building.

Court records also show that Ball was charged with speeding, driving without a license, and trying to flee police on foot in relation to an incident that took place in Allegany County in December 2010. He was also charged with speeding in Frederick County in March of this year. Both incidents also involved the car that Ball allegedly drove into the building on Connecticut Avenue.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Kwame Brown Resigns]]> Thu, 07 Jun 2012 06:19:00 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/kwame+brown+walk.jpg

D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown has been charged with fraud, becoming the second council member to be charged by the D.C. Attorney's Office this year.

Sources close to Brown told News4's Tom Sherwood that he has submitted his letter of resignation. The letter will go to the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics, whch will declare a vacancy, which sets in motion a special election within 114 days.

The charge against Brown is linked to his personal finances -- specifically a home equity loan that Brown secured in 2006 for his home in Hillcrest. D.C. prosecutors claim he overstated his income on loan applications by tens of thousands of dollars to secure the home equity loan and to buy his boat, Bullet Proof. (Photo courtesy of Mike DeBonis, Washington Post.)

According to court documents, Brown conducted the scheme from August 2005 through August 2007.

The single count of bank fraud was filed in federal court today in a criminal information, a charging document that usually signals a defendant's intent to plead guilty.

A plea hearing was scheduled for Friday, the Associated Press reported.

Brown on Tuesday said he had no plans to resign, but when he met in private with his staff and then with council members and his attorney, Fred Cooke, he reportedly told them he would resign, apologizing and emphasizing that the charge didn't pertain to his public duties.

Brown did not comment to reporters as he left the Wilson Building.

News4 obtained a copy of his resignation letter:

Dear Madame Secretary:

I hereby resign my position as Chairman of the Council of the District of Columbia effective immediately. I have made some very serious mistakes in judgment for which I will take full responsibility.

Because of the great respect that I have for the institution that is the Council of the District of Columbia, I have chosen the only honorable course in submitting my resignation at this time. I simply will not hold this body, and its important work hostage to the resolution of my personal indiscretions.

I have behaved in ways that I should not have. I was wrong, and I will face the consequences of that conduct. I have apologized to the residents of our great city, and I also offer my unconditional apology to the members of the Council for all of the negative attention that my conduct has brought about.


Kwame R. Brown

Brown will have a formal statement Thursday. His staff said he told them the council will meet in about a week to replace him with a temporary chairman.

Council member Mary Cheh, chair pro tempore, issued the following statement Wednesday:

“In accordance with Section 401(b)(3) of the Home Rule Act, I plan to convene the entire Council for a special meeting next Wednesday, June 13th, when we will adopt a resolution to elect an Interim Chair and Interim Chair Pro Tempore. Under the Home Rule Act, both positions will be selected from among the at-large members. Consequently, after their election, I will step aside as Chair Pro Tempore. The meeting will be open to the public.

“Under the Council Rules, the Interim Chair would become Chair of the Committee of the Whole, and would retain his role as Chair of his existing standing committee. Also, according to the Home Rule Act, the Interim Chair cannot hold outside employment, and will be eligible to receive an increase in compensation at the rate of the Chairman. The Interim Chair of the Council will serve in that role until a special election.”

"I’m shocked, I'm disappointed, I'm saddened," Mayor Vincent Gray told News4 Wednesday evening. "I was elected to the council at the same time Chairman Brown was elected. I served with him the entire time that I was on the council. This is not something that I ever would have imagined could occur."

"Everybody's mood is quite somber," Council member Tommy Wells said, "but we're focused on the integrity and stability of our government."

Brown is also being investigated for possible corruption during his 2008 re-election campaign. He said Tuesday he does not believe he did anything wrong in that campaign.

Brown is the second D.C. Council member to be charged by the D.C. Attorney’s Office this year. Harry Thomas Jr. was recently sentenced to 38 months in prison after pleading guilty to using city dollars for personal use.

The charges come as federal prosecutors continue investigating the 2010 campaign of Mayor Gray. Two aides on that campaign have pleaded guilty in that investigation.

During his 2010 campaign for council chair, court documents revealed significant credit card overspending by Brown and court cases to recapture more than $50,000 in overdue payments, late fees and attorney costs. He told News4 then that he and his wife had been "living beyond our means."

Last week, Washington City Paper's Loose Lips reported Brown's wife is allegedly being sued for not paying more than $15,000 in credit card debt.

Once he took office, his taxpayer-funded, fully-loaded Lincoln Navigators -- two were ordered because he was reportedly particular about the SUV's color scheme -- drew criticism and caused a media frenzy. Brown returned the SUVs to the Department of Public Works and apologized, saying he didn't realize how expensive the vehicles were.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Culpeper Officer Charged in Fatal Shooting]]> Wed, 30 May 2012 22:40:38 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/Culpeper+Fatal+Police+Shooting.jpg

A police officer in Virginia faces a murder charge in the February shooting death of an unarmed motorist.

A grand jury charged Town of Culpeper Police Officer Daniel Harmon-Wright, 32, of Gainesville, Tuesday evening with murder, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle resulting in a death and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

“Without commenting on the particulars of the investigation, over the course of the month of May, this special investigative grand jury heard from more than 45 witnesses, received more than 100 separate exhibits and were presented with reams of documentary evidence,” said Fauquier County Commonwealth’s Attorney Jim Fisher, the special prosecutor appointed to the case.

“We asked the Virginia State Police for an unbiased and thorough investigation into the Feb. 9, shooting incident involving Officer Daniel Harmon-Wright during which Patricia Cook died," Mayor Chip Coleman said. "We got that from the state police."

Shortly after the Feb. 9 shooting, Virginia State Police said the officer fired his weapon when 54-year-old Patricia Cook rolled her Jeep window up on his arm, drove off and began dragging him in a Catholic school parking lot. He had been investigating a report of a suspicious person, police said.

An eyewitness previously told News4's Pat Collins that the officer had one hand on the door handle and another on his gun.

Gregory Webb, attorney for Patricia Cook's husband, Gary Cook, told News4 Cook had a "manual, roll-up window" and posed no threat to the officer.

In an exclusive interview with News4's Shomari Stone, Gary Cook reacted to the news of the charges. "On one hand, it feels relief. And on the other hand, it's showing me that progress is going on," he said.

The grand jury also indicted Harmon-Wright’s mother, 55-year-old Bethany Sullivan, of Orange, on three counts of uttering and three counts of forgery of public documents. Their investigation revealed her alleged role in attempting to purge negative information from her son’ personnel file. She had been an administrative secretary to the chief of police when her son was hired.

She was arrested without incident Tuesday night and released on $5,000 bond per count.

Frustrated by the pace of the investigation, Gary Cook filed a wrongful death lawsuit seeking $5 million in damages against the officer earlier this month.

Gary Cook's lawyers also discovered the officer has an alias, Daniel W. Sullivan, so the wrongful death suit lists both names.

Harmon-Wright had been on administrative leave with pay, but he was suspended without pay immediately upon the indictment.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Planes Linked to FAA, NTSB Workers]]> Tue, 29 May 2012 22:01:56 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/fauquierplanecrash.jpg

Investigators learned that the planes involved in Monday afternoon's mid-air crash in Fauquier County were registered to employees of the FAA and the NTSB.

Two people died after two small planes collided about 4 p.m. and then crashed to the ground about a mile apart from each other in southern Fauquier County.

A Beechcraft BE-35 registered to an NTSB employee burst into flames when it hit the ground in a wooded area and it was completely destroyed by fire, said Corinne Geller of Virginia State Police. The pilot and passenger died, but it's unknown if either was the owner of the plane. The bodies were recovered from the burnt wrecakge and taken to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Manassas.

The pilot and owner of the second plane -- a 1965 Piper PA-28 -- was identified as 70-year-old Thomas R. Provin, of Broad Run, Va. He was taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va. He remained hospitalized Tuesday but there's no word on his condition.

NTSB said Tuesday afternoon the owner was an FAA employee. The FAA said he was an accident investigator flying as a private pilot on his personal time when the crash occurred.

Because the planes were owned and/or operated by FAA and NTSB employees, NTSB, after consulting with the FAA, requested the Transportation Safety Board of Canada investigate the crash to avoid a conflict of interest.

“This accident hits especially close to home, with the involvement of an NTSB employee,” NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman said in a news release Tuesday afternoon. "I'm grateful to TSB-Canada Chair Wendy Tadros for agreeing to conduct the investigation and the NTSB stands ready to support and assist them in any way we can."

TSB-Canada confirmed it is deploying an investigation team. An NTSB representative will observe the investigation.

Stay tuned to News4 and NBCWashington.com as this story develops.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[6 Firefighters Return to Work]]> Thu, 24 May 2012 13:07:51 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/DC+Fire+and+EMS+Department+generic+truck+and+smoke.jpg

Six local firefighters are going back to work today after the entire shift was replaced due to an unknown illness on Wednesday, News4's Tracee Wilkins reports.

All eight firefighters were replaced at the Engine 10 Station on the 1300 block of Florida Avenue NE after they complained of possible symptoms of chemical exposure – like respiratory problems and burning eyes – Wednesday evening.

D.C. Fire and EMS declared a mass casualty hazmat and took the firefighters to the police and fire clinic for observation.

News4's Tracee Wilkins reports after extensive evaluation, one firefighter returned to work last night and five more will return back to work today.

Two firefighters will be out on sick leave and face more tests and evaluations before they are cleared to go back to work.

Officials say the firefighters could have become ill from a fire they fought about 11 a.m. in the 3700 block of Hayes Street NE on Wednesday and that it was possible it was a PCP lab.

Extra fire crews were called in to cover Engine 10 Station.

Follow NBC Washington to get the latest news, events and entertainment anytime, anywhere: on air, online, and on Facebook // Twitter.

Photo Credit: NBCWashington.com]]>
<![CDATA[Godfather of Go-Go Dies]]> Thu, 17 May 2012 07:55:51 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/213*120/ChuckBrown+capitol.jpg

A beloved D.C. music legend has passed away at the age of 75, Johns Hopkins Hospital confirmed Wednesday afternoon.

Godfather of Go-Go Chuck Brown had been hospitalized for several weeks. His daughter Cherita Whiting told News4 he died from complications from pneumonia.

“We thank all the fans for their prayers and love and concern,” Whiting said.

Brown had postponed a performance at the new Howard Theatre in late April due to illness, although no reason was given at the time for the hospitalization.

“All of his fans meant the world to him,” Whiting said. “He lived for family and he lived to perform. And he just loved to make people happy and he just was such a good person. And I just want people to not just remember him just for the music, but understand the heart of gold that he [had]. You know, he just loved everybody.”

Earlier this month, rumors of Brown's death circulated on Twitter. His manager asserted those rumors were false, and his daughter K.K. Brown confirmed that Brown was still hospitalized at that time.

His family thanked his fans on his Facebook page:


The Brown family would like to thank everyone for their love and support over the years. We know that Chuck's legacy will live on through all of you who have supported him and his creation of Go-Go. His passion, inspiration and drive have always come from his family and fans. He would have wanted all of his fans to know that they meant the world to him and none of his success was possible without them. God bless.


A bandleader, singer and guitarist, Brown was one of the rare go-go artists to gain national attention. Leading the Soul Searchers in the 1970s, Brown was fundamental in the creation of the go-go sound, which he described as percussion-driven, jazz-infused funk with African and Latin elements and his signature call-and-response, which involved the audience in each performance.

"We do a song, break it down," he said. "We get into the audience; they get into us. And it just goes and goes and goes. Come out of that particular tune and go into another groove, but it's all basically the same groove."

Brown had said he was striving to find his own unique sound before it became the sound of the city. He said he fused the various elements of his sound in 1966, first putting the sound on record in 1972 with "We the People."

He credited the fans for helping create the performance style.

"We would do quite a few songs in one night," he said. "We might do 15, 20, 25 songs in one night. Back in those days we were doing Top 40 -- anything that came off the radio that was a hit, we got into it. We decided to break it down and start the call-and-response with the fans. They really made it happen for us. They started that 'wind me up, Chuck' thing -- that's when I was doing Bootsy Collins 'Wind Me Up,' I was doing his version and was also doing a lot of James Brown -- so the audience really started that 'wind me up.'"

He hit No. 1 on the R&B charts with "Bustin' Loose" in 1978 and had another hit with "We Need Some Money (Bout Money)" in 1984.

Brown received his first Grammy nomination in 2010 for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals  for "Love," featuring Jill Scott and Marcus Miller, from the album "We Got This."

Brown's career began in the early 1960s, playing for bands like Los Latinos. In and out of trouble with police in his youth, he had taught himself how to play guitar in prison.

Throughout his life he remained a frequent performer at city events and spent a lot of time with D.C. schoolchildren.

“Chuck Brown was the best kind of performer," D.C. Councilwoman Mary Cheh said, "one who will be remembered not only for the quality of his work, but also for his contributions to the community."

<![CDATA[Radiation Ruled Out at Goddard]]> Thu, 10 May 2012 22:41:03 -0400 http://media.nbcwashington.com/images/160*120/generic+Hazmat.jpg

Multiple radiation alarms are being investigated at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

But radiation was later ruled out as a cause.

A smoke alarm in the radiation lab apparently caused the radiation alarms to sound, according to Prince George's County Fire. The smoke alarm is under investigation. No smoke is visible.

Firefighters stood by while NASA officials and Prince George's County hazmat teams discussed the course of action.

Stay with News4 and NBCWashington.com for updates as they become available.