Feds: No Criminal Intent Found in Investigation of Police Who Killed Navy Yard Gunman

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Federal officials exonerated police who shot and killed Aaron Alexis, the Navy Yard shooter, last September. The News4 I-Team's Scott MacFarlane reports. (Published Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014)

    Federal prosecutors closed their investigation of the police officers who shot and killed the gunman at Washington's Navy Yard last year.

    No charges will be filed against the officers for firing their guns. None of the police was found to have acted improperly, nor was there evidence of any civil right violations, prosecutors said.

    The probe found police showed “exceptional valor” in responding to the attack.

    Prosecutors "typically review deadly police-involved shootings," a justice department official said, and there was no allegation of wrongdoing in the takedown of Aaron Alexis in September. For the investigation to last 11 months is not unusual, the official said.

    Alexis, a 34-year-old contractor, killed 12 people in his rampage through the headquarters of Naval Sea Systems Command.

    Alexis fired at police and police shot back in defense, according to the federal report.