With summer coming to an end, it’s time to take advantage of every opportunity to devour beer and barbeque that comes your way.
D.C. Homebrewers is throwing its second annual Sam Adams-sponsored barbecue on Aug. 24. The event will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Washington Kastles’ stadium (800 Water St. SW).
The barbecue is a chance for D.C. Homebrowers -- an all-volunteer club for beer enthusiasts -- to show off and celebrate the latest trends in brewing. Demonstrations and presentations all afternoon will teach anyone interested about the art of brewing.
The afternoon will also feature family-friendly games like cornhole and entertainment provided by the Washington Nationals.
A ticket to the event entitles you to a plate of barbecue (vegetarian options are available), two side dishes, soda, Sam Adams beer and an additional beer ticket for one of many craft beers including Flying Dog, D.C. Brau, Mad Fox, Boulevard and 3 Stars.
All proceeds from the event will go to Common Good City Farm, an urban farm in LeDroit Park dedicated to helping low-income D.C. families meet their food and education needs.
D.C. Homebrewers barbeque events include:
• 2-6 p.m.: All Grain Brewing with Jim Koebel
• 2-6 p.m.: Brew-In-A-Bag with Peter Jones
• 2:45 p.m.: Nanomashing: Tasting Caramel Malts with D.C. Homebrews Club President Bob Rouse
• 3-5 p.m.: Extract Brewing with John Lutz
• 3:15 p.m.: Homebrew Outreach and Participation Sisterhood (HOPS)
• 3:45 p.m.: Yeasts Gone Wild with Lost Rhino Brewing Company’s Jasper Akerboom
• 4:15 p.m.: Brew Historical Beers with historian Peter Jones
• 4:45 p.m.: Beer Judging Tips and Tricks with Beer Judge Certification Program national judge Jim Koebel
• 5:15 p.m.: Hope 101 with National Homebrew Competition presenter Andrei Henry
Tickets will be on sale for $15 until 1 p.m. on Aug. 24. Kids under 10 get in for free. Additional beer tickets are available for $5.