Recipe: Georgetown Cupcake's Mini Carrot Cupcakes
Makes 24 mini cupcakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp all-natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup clover honey
- 2 small eggs
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup fresh, finely grated carrots
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces non-fat or low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
Directions for the cupcakes:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350° F and line cupcake pan with 24 mini paper baking cups.
2. Sift together all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Mix together the applesauce and honey, using a stand mixer on medium speed. Beat eggs, and add them to mixer on low speed.
4. Add half of the dry ingredients followed by half of the water to stand mixer on low speed. Add remaining dry ingredients and water and mix slowly. Add in grated carrots.
5. Scoop all of the batter into each baking cup so that each baking cup is equally full.
6. Bake at 350° F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
Directions for the frosting:
1. Place all of the frosting ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, and mix together for 3-5 minutes, until frosting is light and airy.
2. Using a small spatula, frost each cupcake with a thin layer of frosting or using a piping bag, frost each cupcake with a small 'signature swirl' of frosting. Serve and enjoy!