Elton John Recovering From Appendectomy

By Josh Grossberg
|  Monday, Aug 5, 2013  |  Updated 10:39 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Rock Stars: Then and Now

Todd Williamson/Invision/AP

Elton John performs at the 20th Annual Race to Erase MS Event "Love to Erase MS" at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza on Friday, May 3, 2013 in Los Angeles.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Safety a Big Part of Lollapalooza 2013

More than 300,000 fans are expected to flock to Chicago for this year's festival. Christian Farr reports on how the city, the festival and hospitals are preparing.
More Photos and Videos

Elton John is on the mend after undergoing surgery to remove his appendix.

The Rocket Man's publicist confirmed the news on Saturday to British media outlets, saying the 66-year-old John went under the knife at Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital last Thursday and is now recuperating at his home in Nice, France.

The "Sad Songs" singer was forced to scrap a series of European concert dates including a big gig in London's Hyde Park after being diagnosed with a nasty case of appendicitis. A statement on his website last month revealed he had an "appendix abscess" that required an operation as well as an intensive regimen of antibiotics to reduce the inflammation.

PHOTOS: Elton and David Furnish

In a follow up interview, John told The Sun that he suffered through 10 shows feeling agonizing stomach pain and was "lucky to be alive." He also revealed that his physicians told him he could have "died at any time" and was a "ticking time bomb" if he didn't cancel his trek because the illness put him at risk for blood poisoning.

Heeding doctors' orders, the legendary musician took to bed at his Windsor, England residence to allow the swelling to go down before flying to Monaco for the surgery.

He subsequently posted a note thanking fans for their support.

NEWS: Elton John was among the honorees at Songwriters Hall of Fame induction ceremony

"Your well wishes have touched me deeply and will play a big part in my recovery," he wrote. "I cannot wait to see you all and thank you in person when I resume my concert schedule later this year," he said.

According to the Daily Mail, John's first scheduled public appearance will be at the Brit Awards on Sept 2 where he'll receive the Brits Icon Award honoring major figures in music. After that, he'll hit the stage and the piano with a concert in Leeds set for Sept. 4.

PHOTOS: Musicians performing live on stage

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out