Australian DJs "Unlikely" to Face Charges in Kate Middleton Nurse Tragedy

New South Wales deputy commissioner says criminal offenses not expected to come as Scotland Yard hands case over to Crown Prosecutors.

By Gina Serpe
|  Friday, Dec 28, 2012  |  Updated 12:06 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Australian DJs "Unlikely" to Face Charges in Royal Hoax

AP

Britain's Prince William stands next to his wife Kate, Duchess of Cambridge as she leaves the King Edward VII hospital in central London, Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012. Prince William and his wife Kate are expecting their first child, and the Duchess of Cambridge was admitted to hospital suffering from a severe form of morning sickness in the early stages of her pregnancy. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

advertisement

The fallout from the suicide of Kate Middleton's pranked nurse, Jacintha Saldanha, continues, but it looks as though the Australian DJs at the center of the tragic worldwide scandal may not face any formal penalty for their ill-fated actions.

London's Metropolitan Police today released a statement confirming that they have concluded their investigations and have turned their case file over to the Crown Prosecution Service to determine whether the DJs' prank call will result in any criminal charges.

According to one official, anyway.

Find out how Will and Kate spent their Christmas

"Following the death of Jacintha Saldanha, officers have liaised with the Crown Prosecution Service as to whether any criminal offenses had been committed in relation to the hoax call made to King Edward VII Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday, 4 December," the police statement read.

"On Wednesday, 19 December, officers submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to consider whether any potential offenses may have been committed by making the hoax call. We are not prepared to discuss further."

However, not everyone was so tight-lipped.

Check out how Prince Harry celebrated Christmas in Afghanistan

Australia's New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas also spoke out today and said that Scotland Yard had neither requested any more information from their jurisdiction in regards to the case nor sought to interview the two Sydney-based hosts, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, at the center of media storm.

"Nor do we expect there to be any requests," he said. "There was some initial contact after the death of Jacintha Saldanha, but not a lot since and because of the passage of time, we believe it is unlikely that any charges will be laid."

Saldanha was laid to rest earlier this month in India, and her family has already spoken out, demanding a release of the "full facts" of her case.

Check out Kate Middleton's greatest looks

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Join the Ride to Conquer Cancer
Join the Ride To Conquer Cancer, Sept. 13 Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out