D.C. Councilmember Vincent Orange wouldn't talk Tuesday about a federal subpoena seeking his campaign records issued last week as part of a wide-ranging probe into city political campaigns.
At a Council session, he only spoke to reporters about food truck legislation.
Orange, who avoided reporters last week, declined to answer questions or appear on News4's camera to discuss the federal subpoena, referring instead to a printed statement that he is cooperating with authorities.
Orange last year acknowledged receiving "suspicious" contributions from Jeffrey Thompson, the D.C. businessman at the heart of the ongoing, two-year-old federal investigation into a shadow campaign that spent $650,000 off the books for Mayor Vincent Gray's 2010 election.
Lee A. Calhoun -- a Thompson business partner -- is due in federal court Thursday, when he is expected to plead guilty to handling fake campaign contributions. Calhoun is the first Thompson insider who may shed light on the alleged contribution scheme.
U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen's investigation is trying to detail a pattern of improper campaign contributions by Thompson and others that dates back more than a decade, sources said.
Council Chairman Phil Mendelson said he hopes the cloud soon will be lifted.