Gov. Bob McDonnell defends relationship with a company doing business in the state
After cemeteries in the Boston area refused his body for burial, Boston-marathon suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev is being laid to rest at an Islamic burial ground near Kings Dominion in Doswell, Va.
Bob McDonnell responded to the burial location on Monday as reporters questioned him after he signed his landmark transportation legislation into law.
“That wouldn’t have been my choice, but it’s a cemetery, it’s a religious cemetery,” McDonnell said. “My understanding is we don’t regulate those and it’s really a matter of private property.
IN OTHER NEWS:
* D.C. Councilman Tommy Wells officially launches is mayoral campaign. (News4)
* Gov. Bob McDonnell signed Virginia's landmark $6 billion transportation funding legislation into law Monday. (Virginian-Pilot)
* The embezzlement case against a former Virginia Executive Mansion is back in court Tuesday. (News4)
* Montgomery County is starting to bill for ambulance rides and will retroactively start charging for ambulance rides taken since January. (Washington Examiner)
* Disgraced former D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown’s court imposed house arrest and curfew expired Monday. (Washington City Paper)
* The D.C. Council is considering a smoking ban within 25 feet of any city playground. (News4)
* The Virginia gubernatorial race is taking place on both the national and local stages. (Washington Post)
* A liberal interest group issued a report on LivingSocial -- called DyingSocial -- on the dangers of offering events that include shooting and alcohol. (Washington City Paper)
* A new proposal in Prince George’s County would add prostitution, human trafficking and criminal activity to the public nuisance law designation and would extend the law -- which was instituted in 1993 to deal with the sale and use of illegal drugs on commercial property -- to residences. (Washington Examiner)
* Virginia Democratic Lt. Gov. candidate Aneesh Chopra releases his first television ad of the campaign. (Richmond Times-Dispatch)