The Ashington Izards - because they have no W's - lost yet again Monday, setting a franchise record for futility in the procsss. By falling to the Indiana Pacers, the Wizards are 0-9 for the first time in team history. A dubious distinction, for sure.
The Wizards were only the second team in NBA history to start two straight seasons with a record of 0-7 or worse, but they have more company in the 0-9 department. Twenty other teams have started a season 0-9, so what became of them?
Here is a condensed list of those 20 other teams and how they finished the season .
- 2009-10 New Jersey Nets: 12-70
- 2002-03 Memphis Grizzlies: 28-54
- 1999 Los Angeles Clippers: 9-41
- 1997-98 Denver Nuggets: 12-70
- 1988-89 Miami Heat: 15-67
- 1982-83 Houston Rockets: 14-68
- 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers: 9-73
- 1979-71 Cleveland Cavaliers: 15-67
So we know one thing: you can spend your Wizards postseason tickets savings account on something else. Yet, if it makes you feel any better, they currently have a 25 percent chance of winning the 2013 NBA Draft Lottery. And when has winning the lottery ever gone wrong?
Follow Adam on Twitter @AdamVingan and e-mail your story ideas to adamvingan (at) gmail.com.