Virginia Commonwealth's Toby Veal (31) reacts after scoring as Kansas' Marcus Morris (22) and Markieff Morris (21) prepare to head downcourt during the first half at the Southwest regional final game in the NCAA college basketball tournament on Sunday, March 27, 2011, in San Antonio. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
The country is going VCU crazy as the Rams head to the Final Four to play another underdog team -- Butler -- Saturday in the semis.
Don't believe us? Just check out the web traffic:
- Web hits to the main vcu.edu page last Sunday: 4 million. Yesterday after VCU beat Kansas: 11 million.
- Web hits for the athletics site reached 6 million Sunday.
- "VCU" was the No. 1 and "Virginia Commonwealth University" the No. 2 hot Google trends on Sunday.
- Media hits from Friday through Monday: 3,200, compared with about 300 for that time frame in a normal period.
- On Facebook, VCU had 1,006 new likes from March 16-26, up 462 percent during that time period.
- VCU Alumni Facebook: 373 new likes in same time period, up 727 percent during that time.
- On Twitter, the university had nearly 1,000 new followers to its combined accounts.